Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I promise!

I promise to write about more things than JUST running, but I just wanted to tell the WHOLE WORLD that I'm officially signed up for the 5K August 7. The race is called the Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer and I'm still laughing at the fact that this race benefits the world Parrot Trust which is dedicated to the survival of parrot species in the wild, and the welfare of captive birds everywhere.

Just to be clear, I'm not doing this for the birds. I'd prefer to run for people, but for now I'm doing this one for ME!

Today, I ran 2 miles without stopping...and actually completed the 5k distance in a decent time. It was the hardest run I've had in a while. I'm not sure why my legs felt like lead, but they did. It's interesting how you have to train your mind to say, "I CAN!" because your whole body is saying - "PLEASE STOP!" And once you finish you feel like you can conquer all beasts!

My friend Regina and I ran the 2.88 miles just under 36 minutes and ran the 3.1 miles in 39. She can do better than I can - so really this is my time with a friend cheering me on. Her patience and encouragement is PRICELESS! And I'm wishing my friend Lara was here running with us. She'll be back soon, but the three of us are running this 5k together. I'm dubbing us the DREAM TEAM! They don't know that yet, but they'll find out soon enough. ;O)

************

I mentioned before that I'd share the scripture that comes to mind when I run so here they are:
Isaiah 40:29-31
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

The infamous Philippians 4:13
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
And my theme verse Romans 8:37
...in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
There is also a song that in my head I'm belting out (I think I'd pass out if I was ACTUALLY singing it)! The chorus says:
I will not be moved, and I'll say of the Lord:
You are my Shield, my Strength, my Portion, Deliverer,
My Shelter, Strong Tower, my very present help in time of need.

1 comment:

Jenn Beyer Talton said...

keep it up girl!!!! I laughed about the parrot thing. I've run in a lot of races...but i don't think i've ever done one for the birds! way to go!