Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Thank you SOOOO very much for making me feel extra special on my birthday through Facebook, phone calls, texts and cards!
Growing up, my family has never made a big fuss about birthdays. And thankfully as a result, I'm pretty low maintenance. A hug and a happy birthday is enough really. It's always been pretty simple - grill some good food and blow out the candles on a cake. Sometimes, it's the morning wake up call with the traditional Mexican birthday song Las Mañanitas! I love it!
This year though - I do have a wish and it's to go back to Guatemala for 5 weeks this summer. I'm paying for most of the trip, but I need help raising $500.
If you'd like to help me, HERE is the link. Another way to help is honestly to pray! It doesn't sound like much - but praying is a big deal and because of requests made to the Lord much is accomplished!
This orphanage in Guatemala is one place that makes my heart skip a beat! I haven't been able to shut up about it lately - especially since going back is a REALITY! The plane tickets are going to be purchased THIS WEEK!
AGAIN - A MILLION THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL SPECIAL!
P.S. I've lost the fear of turning 30 on my 29th birthday!!
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
- Prepare a 3 course meal and make it a party!
- Read my Bible from cover to cover
- Spontaneous Roadtrip
- Run a full marathon (please let it be the Houston Chevron Marathon!!)
- Write HANDWRITTEN letters to VIP's in my life
- Camp out on the beach
- Ride a tandem bike
- Paint Something(s) with purpose (like something someone would want to hang in their house)
- More Picnics Please
- Play in the rain
- Get a gym membership and use it (complete as of 4.4.11 - a head start)
- Get out of debt and stay out FOREVER AND EVER!! soooo close!
- Take family pictures
- Submit cards to Hallmark (I've gotta figure out how)
- Begin learning about graphic design
- Attend a professional football game
- FINISH the DANG Christmas QUILT!!
- Write and illustrate a kids book - homemade books are so fun!
- Lose at least 10 pounds (no, i don't ALWAYS think I'm fat - yes, running is easier when you're lighter)
- facebook less - JOURNAL MORE! (not sure how to measure this)
- Parasailing! (been skydiving and paragliding...now I need to add water!)
- Run the San Antonio Half
- BUY A CAMERA AND GO PICTURE CRAZY! (yeah - I don't have one!)
- Take a trip to someplace where I can HIKE at an incline rather than flatness (most likely Guate!)
- Go to the Texas State Fair
- ZIP LINING!! (if I can manage jumping off the platform!)
- Plan and execute a FUN 30th Birthday Bash!
Okay - You noticed it's not finished. Maybe I'll do something cool, crazy or meaningful, add it to the list and then check it off! Does that count? Or maybe you could suggest something that is relatively inexpensive. 2 slots.
Monday, April 4, 2011
He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”
Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”
Jesus said to her, “Mary.”
Acts 9 shows how God called Paul (then Saul) by name:
As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.
“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
He called Mary and Saul BY NAME! He did the same for every individual going back home to rebuild their place! He has called you and me INDIVIDUALLY! And the question stands - are we listening??
I don't know if it's true for you, but I have a place(s). And if you do PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT in the comments!! I love listening to stories like this.
- Bolivar, MO! Funny how I always say that I don't really want to go back - and maybe it's because it's the people who made it (most of whom I keep in touch with). But it is a very special place. It is where my faith grew exponentially and I saw my God do a great work in the most obvious ways in my life. He hit me with a ton of bricks there! And within Bolivar there are places - like
- PRISON! They call me "Trouble" there (at least a couple classes did). I haven't been since becoming a teacher... Anyway, there are AMAZING stories of redemption! Even now, that I'm not so involved, I still hear stories of redemption from both the brothers and the leaders and I praise the Lord for using this brokenness to bring this incredible beauty!