"I am beginning to realise that every point in one's life at which one loses everything is far more a beginning than an end, for one has lost merely the past, and one has yet to gain the future, and eternity itself."
- Gresham, Lenten Lands
Monday, December 31, 2007
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Monday, December 24, 2007
who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.
Saturday, December 22, 2007
Aser and I were both like - YEAH SANTA's COMING!!! Little did we know that Dad was wondering what in the world he had gotten himself into. He asked my grandfather, who was an excellent tailor, to make him a Santa suit and a huge red sack.
So, Christmas Eve comes around and we're celebrating Christmas and there is a knock at the door. Aser was asked to open the door (because it was his request to visit Santa) - Lo and behold it was SANTA!!! Aser was in awe and I took one look and spoiled it: "That's not Santa - THAT'S MY DAD!"
I never heard the sleigh bells. Aser DID!
My dad makes a better Santa now! ;o) He got the chance to brighten some faces. Here's a picture.
Then I started thinking, what are our Christmas traditions? Thinking of our "OK" Thanksgiving, I kind of started "freaking out" (for lack of better terms) because I couldn't think of any and how in the world would we keep the traditions alive if we don't even know what they are?
WELL - NOT TO WORRY.
I have figured out that traditions aren't necessarily intentional. You don't sit there and MAKE THEM (I mean, you can, but I find that I get too intense if I do that). THEY just happen. And I was trying to hard to make something so meaningful when it was there all along. I let it GO! :o)
- Christmas play at my parents church! There are always super funny stories to go along once it's all said and done.
- TAMALES! My grandmother and some of her daughters (including my mom) get together and make the best tamales in the entire world! I'm afraid of this one because I've tried helping and I haven't been successful yet.
- Christmas Light Tours! My family does this EVERY year. And since my grampa's been gone, I make it a point to bring my gramma. We go around to different neighborhoods and check out their decked out houses. Last night I took my fam to the Heights. My dad treated us to dinner at Tim's favorite place - Chicago's.
- Christmas Talent show!When we're together on the 24th we all take turns showing off our talent. It all gets recorded!! AH! :)
- Dressing Up! We make it a point to look super fly on Christmas Eve and go crazy with picture taking.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Burt Bacharach (1928 - )
soi·ree [swah-rey] : -noun, an
evening party or social gathering, esp. one held for a particular purpose.
Here's my favorite picture of us - old, but good!
Check Patricia's blog for recent pictures!
Friday, December 14, 2007
Tomorrow is SATURDAY!
A quick overview (of last weekend) -
- Friday night: Went to see Gabi's Orchestra Concert. I was really impressed that they learned such a difficult piece in two weeks. I'm also extremely proud that she is SECOND chair! I could never make it to second chair. :o(
- Saturday: Read for a while in the morning, cleaned the kitchen, went to gramma's for lunch and ended up taking the longest nap ever in my life. I must be tired or something because I'm not a napper. I went to see my cousin Mikey go from cub scouts to boy scouts. It was funny to see how "serious" he gets when he's in formation. My Tia Mimi worked hard on the "arrow of light." I need to get an example of that because it's serious work. Then, I met up with some friends at the Lights in the Heights. That was Christmas fun and festive. We went back to their house and had some soups - not that it was wintery cold outside.
- Sunday: Went to LA IGLESIA and then had birthday lunch with Amy and Rosy (cousins), who turned 24!! And then went to watch Shane & Shane and Bethany Dillon. These people sound so much better live!! Something about recording in a studio that kills the edge of live music.
Wednesday Word: I've neglected it. But have not fear, it will be here (next week?). I have to get Jennifer to send me the quotation that is perfect to go along with the Wednesday Word. And guys: Check this out. Learn new words while feeding the hungry! Great way of combining charity with education! And speaking of words: Patricia posted this cool link about important 3 words. It's amazing!
And just for the heck of looking at a cute growing girl go check out Susanne's blog. Her daughter Lindsey is SUPER DUPER CUTE!