1. an official examination and verification of accounts and records, esp. of financial accounts.
2. a report or statement reflecting an audit; a final statement of account.
3. the inspection or examination of a building or other facility to evaluate or improve its appropriateness, safety, efficiency, or the like: An energy audit can suggest ways to reduce home fuel bills.
4. Archaic. a judicial hearing.
5. Obsolete. an audience. –verb (used with object)
6. to make an audit of; examine (accounts, records, etc.) for purposes of verification: The accountants audited the company's books at the end of the fiscal year.
7. to attend (classes, lectures, etc.) as an auditor.
8. to make an audit of (a building or other facility) to evaluate or improve its safety, efficiency, or the like. –verb (used without object)
9. to examine and verify an account or accounts by reference to vouchers.
So maybe I AM sinking and I'm in denial. muah ha ha ha ha.