Friday, November 12, 2010

Thanksgiving

For the last month or so, I've been whining nonstop about the demands of my job and how I think they are unsustainable. Unsustainable because if I were to actually get everything done when I want/need them done...I wouldn't sleep.

I have heard so many people say that they are going into teaching because they can't find a job as though it's a piece of cake with extra icing and sprinkles on top. Well, I LOVE my job...and yet I CAN'T STAND IT! I love the teaching my kids, but there are so many things coming at you as though there is a "ball launcher" of assessments, new expectations and so many freakin' deadlines. And sometimes even your good kids are your worst terrors.

You begin to think that a larger paycheck and an endless supply of mojitos will help console you! (But you think about it and realistically it's not enough - you go back to ponder why it is you came in the first place...you remember and keep truckin.')

I've whined so MUCH, I am currently getting on my OWN NERVES. Which in my world happens a bit more often than I'd like to admit. It's not like whining actually helps....or gets the job done.

SO-------Thanksgiving. I'm going to focus on the things I'm thankful for:

  1. Jesus loves me and although He doesn't take me out of situations I'd rather not endure - He sustains me. He strengthens me. He loves me.
  2. I am alive and healthy.
  3. My family is awesome! (They help me so much to get stuff done for my students. Not only that - They make me laugh. They encourage. They get on me when I'm being ridic. They remind me that life is short - enjoy it! I will never be old enough to stop needing my parents/family!!)
  4. I have amazing friends! (It's a rarity to have friends this good and I don't take for granted on this jackpot I've hit.)
  5. I have a job. (One I wanted for so long! And I get summers off so I can go to Casa Bernabe!!)
  6. My students are good. We have our moments, but I'm really thankful for the parent support I DO have. Though sometimes it doesn't seem like much - one helping hand is worth a million dollars!!
  7. I got to back to CB this summer and it looks like I'll be going again.
  8. I have a car that I just finished paying off. (HAVE I MENTIONED HOW EXCITED I AM!!!)
  9. My closet is full. I know this sounds so stinken shallow...I grew up with a really bare closet. I sometimes just stare at it in amazement that I could have this much clothes. (And FYI - it's not a walk-in closet...It's pretty dang small.)
  10. I'm thankful that the star of the week's parents brought lunch for me one day this week!

I'll add more. Ten is a good number for now.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Mimers, good post! I have also found myself getting annoyed with my own complaining, worrying, frustrated talk... I get to the point that I just think, Emily, shut up! You LOVE your job. :) Anyway, thanks for reminding us to be thankful!