For the last month or so, I've been whining nonstop about the demands of my job and how I think they are unsustainable. Unsustainable because if I were to actually get everything done when I want/need them done...I wouldn't sleep.
I have heard so many people say that they are going into teaching because they can't find a job as though it's a piece of cake with extra icing and sprinkles on top. Well, I LOVE my job...and yet I CAN'T STAND IT! I love the teaching my kids, but there are so many things coming at you as though there is a "ball launcher" of assessments, new expectations and so many freakin' deadlines. And sometimes even your good kids are your worst terrors.
You begin to think that a larger paycheck and an endless supply of mojitos will help console you! (But you think about it and realistically it's not enough - you go back to ponder why it is you came in the first place...you remember and keep truckin.')
I've whined so MUCH, I am currently getting on my OWN NERVES. Which in my world happens a bit more often than I'd like to admit. It's not like whining actually helps....or gets the job done.
SO-------Thanksgiving. I'm going to focus on the things I'm thankful for:
- Jesus loves me and although He doesn't take me out of situations I'd rather not endure - He sustains me. He strengthens me. He loves me.
- I am alive and healthy.
- My family is awesome! (They help me so much to get stuff done for my students. Not only that - They make me laugh. They encourage. They get on me when I'm being ridic. They remind me that life is short - enjoy it! I will never be old enough to stop needing my parents/family!!)
- I have amazing friends! (It's a rarity to have friends this good and I don't take for granted on this jackpot I've hit.)
- I have a job. (One I wanted for so long! And I get summers off so I can go to Casa Bernabe!!)
- My students are good. We have our moments, but I'm really thankful for the parent support I DO have. Though sometimes it doesn't seem like much - one helping hand is worth a million dollars!!
- I got to back to CB this summer and it looks like I'll be going again.
- I have a car that I just finished paying off. (HAVE I MENTIONED HOW EXCITED I AM!!!)
- My closet is full. I know this sounds so stinken shallow...I grew up with a really bare closet. I sometimes just stare at it in amazement that I could have this much clothes. (And FYI - it's not a walk-in closet...It's pretty dang small.)
- I'm thankful that the star of the week's parents brought lunch for me one day this week!
I'll add more. Ten is a good number for now.