Sunday, September 26, 2010

An Excerpt

...from a book I'm reading.

"It is worth considering, as we look at repentance and restoration, that although Jesus knew Judas would betray him, Peter would deny him, and the others would desert him, he still washed their feet (John 13:3-5), then shared the bread and wine with them - bread that represented his body and wine that represented his blood. Despite knowing what they would do, he said to them, "I do not call you servants any longer...but I have called you friends" (John 15:15). He did that for all of them, including Judas. Jesus looked past their betrayal, their sins, and their failures and called them his friends. We take comfort in the knowledge that he will do that for us as well."

-Adam Hamilton, 24 Hours That Changed the World, 1. The Last Supper, p. 23

The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26

He did this for you. He did it for me. And to think...that He...gave His life knowing full well we'd be unfaithful friends - WHOA! He loves us SO much that He gave His life so that our sins would be forgiven.

It goes against the grain. I'll only be your friend if you're nice to me. And if you laugh at my jokes. If you let me know how cool I am and what kinds of things you like about me. I'll only be your friend if you look like me and if you wear similar clothes as me. I'll only be your friend if your aren't embarrassing and if you never offend me. And if you do all of this for me, I'll do the same for you. Because, really, it's all about me...and in your case you! Right? We aren't in the habit of befriending people who are going to betray us.

Not Jesus. He knew....He knew betrayal was coming from ME! But He still called me His friend.

It is truly astounding!

And just so you know - He really is the greatest friend you could ever have. Not only did He give His life, but Jesus considered you the joy that got him through it (Hebrews 12) - because He did it specifically for YOU.

I've been on a journey with Him since a young age and it's been a good one. I could go on forever about Jesus, but really you should get to know Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lately I miss our chats. The ones we have when we're stuck in traffic. The ones we have when we're gaga over the cutest boy we know. The ones we have about family. The ones we have when we speak Korean and hope we'll never forget that time. The ones we can't understand because we're crying. The ones we sing to each other. But in all the missing, I'm still me and you're still you and when I read this post and realize you are learning the same things as me, then I want to cry and celebrate the one-ness, which is made possible by the Spirit. I love you, friend and I miss you.