Friday, February 18, 2011

He called me FAT!

This morning, I had an activity for my students to practice their spelling words one more time before taking the spelling test. When we were finished, I asked them to go back to their seats. In the middle of it all, an uproar began and this what took over my classroom...

Girl: OH MY GOD! WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT!? (immediate downpour of tears)
Boy 1: blank stare
Girl: MS. MARQUEZ, HE CALLED ME FAT!
Boy 1: No, I didn't.
Girl: YES YOU DID!! DON'T LIE!!

Ms. Marquez walks toward the girl to calm her down.

Girl: MS. MARQUEZ, HE CALLED ME FAT! (she stomps her foot on every syllable for emphasis)
Boy 2: Why are you so upset? You're so skinny!
Girl: BOYS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO CALL GIRLS FAT! IT'S SO...RUDE!

Ms. Marquez pulls her aside and tells her she's right. That it is rude for someone to say mean things, but she needs to SIMMER. (okay, I didn't say simmer...but I almost did.) Ms. Marquez patted her on the back and asked her to go to the CHAIR (the one Ms. Marquez sends her students to cool down - it needs a name). And so, I get everyone back in their seats ready and situated for the spelling test. Once everyone is set, Ms. Marquez walks up to both the girl and boy 1 asking for an apology and forgiveness conversation.

Girl: Ms. Marquez, everything is okay. While you and the other students were getting ready he apologized.

Welp, there you have it. Don't call girls fat.

No comments: