Thursday, June 7, 2012

Books for Orphans!

It's finally summer time and I have the chance to really focus on my 34 day trip to Guatemala.  I leave June 16 and return to the States on July 19. I know this is really short notice, but I'm trying to help Casa Bernabe start a library. I'm going to start now...take what I collect on my trip...and continue collecting books for the next time I go.

If you go to any school in America - you will find children's books. If you go to any household in America - you will more than likely find children's books. (I would like to say all households in America have children's books! Believe me I would!) I go down to Casa Bernabe and the only books I see the kids have is either their Bible or the workbook from school.

There is more reading to be had!!

I would love to collect the Spanish versions of our popular children's books.

For example - Who hasn't read Eric Carle's The Hungry Caterpillar? I'll bet you $20 bucks these kids haven't! Did you know that there's a Spanish version? YES! There is! It's called La oruga muy hambrienta! I want to get that book in these kids hands!!

Or how about a copy of Max Lucado's You are Special for kids who are really struggling with their status as a family of one. This book comes in Spanish, too - Tu eres especial.

AND O.M.G. - Even my 4th graders love when I read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day in an exaggerated story voice. They'll even ask if they can read it to practice their reading voice during their free time. Yes, it comes in Spanish, too!

Don't forget chapter books. Even those come in Spanish....Because of Winn-Dixie and Charlotte's Web!

There's all sorts of things to learn from Children's Literature. So I'm asking for you to help me share my love of literature with these kids.

Here's how you can help:

  1. Purchase Spanish Books and send them to me...(or I can meet you somewhere if you're in Houston)
    (Amazon, B&N, Target has a small selection of Spanish books)
  2. Purchase Amazon Gift Cards and send them my way. I'll post the list of books I purchased.
  3. Contribute to my mission trip via www.houstonsfirst.org/missions
Send me an email if you need my address: mimi.marquez@gmail.com

Thanks so much for your contribution!


No comments: