Monday, November 7, 2011

Thanksgiving, Nov. 7

After having an achy back and really lousy sleep, I decided it was time to go ahead and purchase a new mattress on Halloween night. I was waiting for the right time, the right mattress, and the right set of NEW furniture, my own place...But it had been YEARS and nearly an entire decade that I had this thing. It was ridiculous and if I waited any longer - circumstances would never be quite right. Really - it's a wonder why I waited so long!

On my way to the store to purchase the new mattress, I asked my mom what I should do with the old one. I was embarrassed to even put it out on the curb for heavy trash pickup the it was so OLD! I told her that I would prefer to burn it.

And then it dawned on me...if I put that ratty old thing out on the curb someone who actually NEEDS a mattress will be SO HAPPY to come pick it up.

I'm not kidding when I say this: I started to cry!

I just don't understand how this works....How some have and others don't.

And even then - How in the world did I end up as one who has and sometimes feel like I don't have enough? How am I not one who is happy to finally have somewhere to layer my precious blankets instead of a dusty floor?

It reminds me of this:

From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom
they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more. -Luke 12:48


So - today, I am thankful that God has entrusted with a very explicit responsibility: To be a good steward of the things I have, and to share with those who are in need.

1 comment:

shelly said...

well said mimi...i am often struck by similar thoughts. it's humbling.